To day I had a job interview, my first one in a very long time. Here are the top 40 MFL job questions I found online that I thought I should prepare for. Every job is different but I looked around and saw that there are some similar things coming up again and again.
I hope this will help anyone else looking, I took ages finding them and the list is just my gathering information together it isn’t complete by any means and some questions are specific to the UK but I’m sure can be translated to other countries. I have included questions for all levels of career so just ignore the ones that are not relevant to you. Just remember to give good, recent and concrete examples when you answer them. Easier said than done of course! Good luck! If anyone has any super tips to really standing out then just contact me and I’d love to add them. I was just honest and open about my experience and passion for teaching and hopefully that came across.
My 40 Best Interview Questions Ideas
1. So why do you want to work here?
2. What do you think you will add to the department?
3. Do you have any talents/experience/ideas that the school will benefit from outside the classroom?
4. What do you see would be the most challenging aspect of teaching MFL here? How would you overcome them?
5. What exam board have you used most recently? What do you like/dislike about it?
6. What changes to the exams for MFL are going to be coming at a national level and how do you see it impacting your teaching?
7. What do you think about teaching in the target language? Explain your answer.
8. What is your best quality as a teacher? (Hopefully they won’t ask what is your worst if they are a good interviewer).
9. Describe your ideal lesson.
10. If you had to go into a lesson with no resources how would you engage the pupils?
11. What point of grammar or structure do you find hardest to teach?
12. How do you use technology in your classroom currently? And how do you see this developing in the future?
13. Describe your assessment strategy.
14. What do you enjoy most about teaching?
15. How do you feel about the pastoral role of a teacher?
16. How do you differentiate/ deal with special needs and gifted and talented in your classroom?
17. How do you help students transition from GCSE to A level?
18. What do you think about ………..exam board and their papers in MFL? You need to know all the major exam boards and what they are currently testing.
19. How will you deal with conflict of interest if your children are in the same school as you?
20. Tell me about your career so far…
21. Where do you want to be in 2/5/10 years in your career?
22. How do you motivate students to learn?
23. Target language questions. Make sure you’re prepared to talk about politics, current events, cultural things in the country that speaks the language you are hoping to teach. There could also be relatively easy ones like how often you you visit….. or What hobbies do you have etc.
24. How important to you is the role as a tutor?
25. What experience can you bring to the school outside the classroom such as extra-curricular interests?
26. What are your views on teaching grammar?
27. What is the hardest grammar point to teach and get across to students? How would/do you approach teaching it?
28. Explain your attitude to discipline.
29. Tell me about your management style.
30. What strategies do you employ to help weaker students progress?
31. How do you motivate your students?
32. How do you communicate with parents about a student’s performance?
33. What have you initiated at your school?
34. Why did you decide to become a teacher?
35. What do you feel about MFL homework?
36. Describe some occasions when you have implemented cross-curricular learning.
37. How do/Have you handled bilingual students in your class?
38. How have you handled/would you handle non-native speakers of English in your classroom?
39. How do you collaborate/work with colleagues?
40. How would you deal with conflict/disagreement with another member of staff?
Let me know in comments if I can add any more. I can’t think of everything. I haven’t touched on the lesson they will probably get you to teach just the main interview questions.